T Levels – what are they and what are the benefits?

In September 2023, the RNN Group will be delivering T Levels across four areas: construction, digital, education and childcare and health and science.

T Levels are a new qualification for learners aged 16-19 who have finished their GCSEs. Each T Level is equivalent to 3 A levels and helps young people develop the knowledge, attitude and practical skills to thrive in the workplace.

T Level learners spend 80% of the course in the classroom, learning the essential skills that your employees need. The other 20% is a meaningful industry placement, where they put these skills into action.

Once a learner has completed a T Level course, they will be able to progress onto:

  • A skilled occupation
  • Higher or degree level apprenticeships
  • Further study including Higher Technical Qualifications or Higher Education

T Level industry placements are a free government scheme so employers don’t need to pay to take on a T Level student for a placement.

The benefits to T Levels are that they can support employers by offering early access to a talent pipeline for entry-level positions, can help with recruitment, improve innovation and increase an organisation’s productivity.

This scheme can lead to an Accelerated Apprenticeship, which could offer benefits to both the apprentice and the employer. 

Apprentices who have some prior knowledge or skills before starting their apprenticeship can have this recognised as prior learning.

This means the apprentice should be able to complete their programme quicker, as training they are already experienced in, can be removed from their training plan, and doesn’t need to be repeated.

This allows employees to complete the scheme in less time and cost to the employer.

For more information about the T Levels that the RNN Group are offering, visit https://www.rotherham.ac.uk/course-type/t-levels/

Subscribe to our newsletter on LinkedIn